Friday, July 30, 2010

Work or Pleasure?

Going to show on Tuesday at Frying Pan Farm in Herndon, VA. I think it is a great use of a PTO day! Amber is going to try and pass herself off as a pleasure horse which means I have to do a terrific acting job of making it look like she is easy to ride! If I can manage that, I deserve an Oscar.

I've tried all manners of transitioning up from a walk to a trot. From simply vocalizing "trot" to the slightest leg pressure or a cluck. She likes to bolt into a trot and then with half halts I can slow her down to reasonable pace. I've also had a great deal of success in getting her into a nice rhythm by sitting the first 5 or so strides and then posting. But as soon as my butt leaves the saddle she takes that as a cue to go faster. And I can't really sit the trot when the judge asks for a posting trot!

Another Amber gem is the "canter mentality." Once we work our way up to the canter whether in a lesson or just riding by ourselves, that's all she wants to do. And she's become accustomed to launching into a canter from the corners of the ring so I have to half halt in anticipation of her speeding up. Sometimes she'll get pissed and throw her head up and take the bit anyway. Thoroughbreds!!!

Anyways, the show should be fun. I am sitting at my desk with the Almanac of American Politics beneath by feet since I am trying to train my heels to stay down. The riders with the lowest heels tend to do well at FPF. Hopefully I can find some of those nice jointed stirrups at the Clifton Tent Sale this evening!

Photo: Amber checks out Icabod

No comments:

Post a Comment