Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jumping "back" into it

I neglected to mention that Amber and I worked on ground work under the tutelage of "Cowboy Ben" and Carol on Sunday. I think my horse has ADD. She'll understand what she's supposed to do, then her brain will flitter away to the pasture where all her buddies are grazing. We made some progress with leading and I know what to do when she gets bossy on the ground.

I had ambitions of riding outside - galloping up hills in the fields to build strength, but rain canceled that. Instead we had to work indoors. It's a little bit tighter and Amber likes to cheat around the corners especially at any gait above a walk. We made significant progress at backing! I've tried backing her before and she just throws her head up in the air and tries to go forward into the bit. I got her to back up one step over the weekend, but leg pressure still means forward for her. So I sit up straight in the saddle and say "back" as I toggle the reins. I use my legs only to keep her straight as she backs up. We can do a good three steps now before she says "enough." I'll take it. :-)

Jean was gracious enough to supervise so I could go over a crossrail. For safety reasons, I never jump alone, and neither should anybody else! Amber is such an honest jumper and almost never tries to duck out. She does tend to not tuck her knees up as much as she should. I also had a harder time getting her to pick up the left lead cantering counterclockwise although I could get her to do a flying lead change. Jumping is the best part of riding. Some people enjoy dressage, others like barrel racing or roping, but jumping is definitely for me. And Amber is for me too. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment