Friday, July 23, 2010

The Hilltop Experience


There is really nothing like riding a galloping horse. When I was about 12 I decided that I wanted to be a jockey. I had a rocking horse that I "practiced" on. I made a little saddle complete with short stirrups. I don't think I really ever mastered the whipping technique however. :-)

I mentioned in the previous post that we went "hilltopping" last night. Hilltopping is cantering/galloping up a hill and (hopefully) stopping at the top. The purpose is to build muscles in the hindquarters from the impulsion required to get up the hill. As we know, Amber needs strong hindquarters to get her over the jumps. Trotting over poles helps but doesn't quite do enough.

I crouched low over her withers and urged her on but surprisingly Amber was still ready and willing to stop once we got to the top of the hill. We did this 4 times! I let Jean do the first two times because I didn't really believe Amber would stop when asked. I can't help but wonder if she'll get into such great shape that she wants to go up over the hill and down the other side. Haha.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mel!

    You have me hooked! I love checking out your blogspot to see what new information you want to share with the world! And you know, if you ever want to do a barrel racing lesson with Fareed, I will be there as your support! I know you are an English gal at heart and will excel beautifully with your mare, but don't lose that curiousity about other disciplines! Some of the best riders and horsemen in the world do cross-discplinary riding all the time! :) We will support you whichever way you choose to go! :)

    Sincerely,

    Miss Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean!

    Glad you are addicted to my blog. ;-) I might have to rent one of Fareed's horses for the next Miran Farm show so I can do some of the western events (not western pleasure, bleh).

    ReplyDelete