Wednesday, July 7, 2010

90 Degrees and Still Fast

So tonight was the second time I've ridden Amber since I started this blog. It was just around 90 degrees at 8 o'clock. I refuse to let weather deter me from riding. Meteorologists are predicting a hotter than normal summer in the DC metro area. This is my third summer here and I think I have yet to see a "normal" summer.

I am really starting to love the fact that Amber is "miss prissy" when it comes to being clean. I can't remember ever having to brush large areas of crusted poop off of her body (knock on wood). She does manage to crap on her legs though especially when she's nervous like when we trailer to shows! I purchased a rubber curry comb a couple of weeks ago since they tend to be more gentle on thoroughbred's sensitive skin. And according to the August issue of Horse Illustrated it's one of the necessary tools to groom like a pro.

The last time I was able to ride it was mostly walking with a little trotting on the trails. Since there were no trail buddies, I elected to spend some time in the outdoor ring. We started out doing some bending around the leg. This has been a challenge because up until we began training her, leg always meant "go faster." And thoroughbreds do not usually need much of an invitation to go faster! I think my new favorite exercise is the 7,7,7 - seven strides of sitting trot, seven strides of posting, and seven strides of 2 point at the trot. Up until about a month ago it was 7 strides of sitting trot, 7 strides of posting, one stride of 2 point then straight into a canter. It's still tricky to keep a nice trotting rhythm in the 2 point position but otherwise Amber does quite well I've learned to control her rhythm at the posting trot by slowing my post (ha!). Also the more contact my butt has with the saddle, the easier it is to keep a nice slow rhythm whether it's at the trot or canter.

And then after being so disciplined, I earned my spot in the ranks among the world's worst horse trainers :-). Amber's best gait is fast. I like fast. However fast is not always an appropriate gait. See when I ask for a canter and I get fast, I should bring her back to the canter? Nah. To my defense I will say I did not expect such enthusiasm for fast in the heat. It took me by surprise so I had to just kind of go with it...you know. Amber does beautiful flying lead changes at the canter. We did a few of those and called it a day. The timing could not have been more perfect to end. Somebody within eyesight and earshot decided to use up the rest of his 4th of July firecrackers. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment