Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Good Workout



Tonight was simply a workout. Especially for me. We warmed up in the outdoor arena and everything was perfect. Except again she would not pick up her left lead when asked. I'm starting to wonder if it's a physical problem or just laziness. Or she just likes the right lead so much more! I managed to get her on the left by doing a tight flying lead change essentially making her so uncomfortable on the right lead she had to change to the left.

Then for a change of pace we went out into the pond field. There are 4-5 other horses in this field but it is big and has nice rolling hills that are good for cantering. We looped it one time and I could feel that Amber was getting antsy. She was out of earshot of her herd which is pastured on the opposite side of the farm. She didn't want to walk and then when I wouldn't let her she started doing her silly old tricks of trying to take the bit - head tossing, tongue over the bit. Cantering up the hills was fun. It would have been more fun if I could have just let her loose instead of worrying about how much braking power I would have at the top. This horse does not get tired. But I sure do and I will sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment