Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Saddle Happy


I made my first serious purchase as a "horse person" this weekend - a beautiful used/loved Smith-Worthington saddle. It has the long flaps for my long legs and is a medium gullet - although medium-narrow fits Amber better. But for the awesomely cheap price, I couldn't let it go!

Amber is starting to really learn to bend and to move off of my leg. In our lesson on Saturday we worked on lateral movement and being able to bend in small circles at the canter. It was a fairly exhausting exercise just going one way but then we had to do it again on the other lead! We are so far removed from the "racing days" when Amber just wanted to go fast. I would be exhausted after just ten minutes.

Our jumping still needs work. I feel like we can't quite get the rhythm down. The first time through the grid I was holding her back so much I forgot to release over the jump. So the next couple times I over compensated and did the automatic/extended release instead of the crest release. Did I mention it was only a 12" jump?

No comments:

Post a Comment