Thursday, August 12, 2010

Circling in Ovals

Wow, it's been over a week since I posted! I hope to add some more pictures over the weekend and maybe a video clip if all goes well.

We had a nice trail ride Monday night. I now know where the secret jumping log is in the woods. I will have to go back and visit that section of the trail soon. My plans for "hilltopping" tonight were stymied by the amazing downpour. Had I gotten out to the barn 30 minutes sooner, I would have made it. Instead we did work in the indoor - figure eights, circles. Actually the circles were more like ovals. Bending at any speed above a walk produces an oval rather than a circle. She was also rather eager tonight. There were only two days between the last time I rode her and tonight. Amber is one of those horses that really can't be ridden too much. And she is getting a belly.

Cantering on the correct leads was less of a struggle for her anyway. I almost lost my balance while I was checking to see if she was on the correct lead. Instead, I lost my stirrup but managed to stay on. Yee haw! In the next six weeks I would like to see if I can teach her to go from a walk to a canter. I feel tired just thinking about it. She seems to be able to sense when I am about to ask her - probably because she's figured out the general routine of our rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment