Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Field Buddies

Miran Farm is a place where English and Western riders coexist peacefully. I encountered one of the rare "conflicts" Wednesday evening - the ropers had taken over the indoor ring! This is not normally a conflict because a) it happens every Wednesday b) I can ride in the outdoor ring. Yet again, the weather was against me and turned the outdoor ring into a muddy slip n' slide. And rather than wait an hour to use the indoor, I opted to ride in the big field.

We started out rather well. Amber tried to bolt through the gate into the field but I held onto the reins. Eventually she stood still enough so I could get on. I was reluctant to go any faster than a walk since it had been raining off and on all day. Mind you, the field is huge and when we got to the far end, Amber decided she was lonely and started whinnying for her buddies. Monty was the first to respond to the damsel in distress and he cantered all the way over from the other side to join us. Then Gunner came trotting at full speed. For those not familiar with Gunner, he doesn't have a "full speed." All of a sudden EVERYBODY was there and it was like I didn't exist. Amber didn't really want to do anything. Too much for the thoroughbred brain to handle. We did canter up the big hill, but after that she kept trying to wheel take off. I still wonder what that would be like....

Photo: herd buddies Sunshine and Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment